All students at the University of Regina Students’ Union pay student fees. A portion of this fee goes to UR Pride Centre. By paying this fee, a student becomes a member of UR Pride Centre!
All students have the right to opt-out of paying this fee, and we allow for students to opt-out at any time during the semester. We recognize that life gets hectic, and the semester gets busy, and folks forget things! We believe strongly in a culture of consent, and just like any other activity between people, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. By choosing to opt-out, you’ll receive a cheque in the amount of your fee.
To opt-out, we ask that you fill out this form and bring it to us with the required documents, or you can stop by our office and fill out a form on site. If you’re unable to physically fill out a form by yourself, for any reason, you can come to our office and we can fill out the form on your behalf through a short in-person question/answer interview (of the questions on the form).
You can see download this form here: Opt-Out Form
How to Opt-Out:
- Fill out the form, and bring it to UR Pride (225 Riddell) along with a copy of your current timetable and your student ID or email the form to our Executive Director.
- We will process the form and issue a cheque for the amount required.
- We can either mail you the cheque, or you can pick it up at our office when it’s ready.
Things to Keep in Mind:
By opting-out as a member of UR Pride, you will no longer be able to access all of our super cool programs and services. This means that you won’t be able to:
- Access the UR Pride student lounge;
- Access free contraception at the UR Pride lounge;
- Access peer support at UR Pride;
- Attend the Monthly Pop-Up Sexual Health Clinic;
- Apply for student funding at UR Pride;
- Take out material from the UR Pride library; and/or
- Get help from UR Pride Staff.
We encourage you to stop by and have a chat with our staff to ask questions and understand the great things we offer to all students, before you choose to opt-out.
UR Pride Student Levies:
$2.75 PT / $5.25 FT
In January 2012, a referendum was held to determine if URSU should introduce a student fee for the UR Pride Centre. Over 86% of students who voted, voted in favour of this fee levy. In 2012, this fee was $0.50/$1.00 for part-time and full-time students respectively.
Since then, every increase of the student fee levy takes place at an URSU Annual General Meeting where students can vote in favour or opposed to a fee levy increase. In 2018, this fee was increased to $2.75/$5.25 for part-time and full-time students respectively.
Why do I have to opt-out?
Some students have connected with us and expressed frustrations that this is an opt-out process instead of an opt-in process.
Unfortunately, we have no control over this.
These processes are determined by the University of Regina Students’ Union. We encourage anyone with concerns to reach out directly to their Student Union representative.